The moon landing was certainly one of, if not the crowning achievement of mankind. It took the thousands of years of innovation leading to landing 2 men on a rocky orb that flies around our atmosphere. It is easy to see how that time of space exploration inspired a generation of Americans, and when you go back and look at how difficult it all was it can still be inspiring.
Today we get details on a Lego set of the Saturn V rocket that was used to take those men to the moon. It is an awesome set that is ridiculously affordable compared to any of the licensed material that we all like coming in at $120 for a 1969 piece kit. That number is significant too, we landed on the moon for the first time in 1969. Cheeky guys, cheeky.
The kit will stand 39″ when built and I want it more than I have wanted a Lego set in probably 20 years. I mean, if you are considerate enough to get it for me, I promise to do a build video and timelapse. I will even have my three year old help. Promise.
Anyway check the press release before and be ready to get out there and purchase the set in July.
21309 – NASA Apollo Saturn V
Available June 1, 2017.
Ages 14+. 1,969 pieces.
Build the first rocket to land people on the Moon!
Display and role-play with this majestic meter-high LEGO® brick model of the NASA Apollo Saturn V. Packed with authentic details, it features 3 removable rocket stages, including the S-IVB third stage with the lunar lander and lunar orbiter. The set also includes 3 stands to display the model horizontally, 3 new-for-June-2017 astronaut microfigures for role-play recreations of the Moon landings, plus a booklet about the manned Apollo missions and the fan designers of this educational and inspirational LEGO Ideas set.
• Features a meter-high (approximately 1:110 scale) model of the NASA Apollo Saturn V with a removable S-IC first rocket stage with main rocket engine details, removable S-II second rocket stage with rocket engine details, removable S-IVB third rocket stage with the Apollo spacecraft and rescue rocket at top of the whole spacecraft, plus 3 stands to display the model horizontally.
• The Apollo spacecraft features the lunar lander and the lunar orbiter.
• Also includes 3 new-for-June-2017 astronaut microfigures.
• Great for display and role-playing the manned Apollo Moon missions.
• Includes a booklet about the manned Apollo Moon missions and the fan designers of this set.
• This set includes over 1,900 pieces.
• Measures over 39″ (100cm) high and 6” (17cm) in diameter.